How Much Psilocybin Magic Mushrooms to Take
Light dose – anything under 2.5 grams can be considered a light dose. If you are very cautious or nervous start with a smaller dose like 1.5 grams and add more as you see fit.
Medium dose – 2.5 grams to 4 grams is a medium dose. This is generally the range most first-timers use.
High dose – 4+ grams. This is for experienced psilocybin magic mushrooms users.
How to take them
It is okay to eat the magic mushrooms as they are. The general consensus is that the trip will be more intense and start faster if you:
- Grind the shrooms into fine powder
- Eat them on an empty stomach
If you do not like the taste of psilocybin mushrooms then you can also:
- Eat mushroom edibles
- Make tea
- Mix them in a drink
How long is the trip
This varies by dosage, usually, the timeline is:
- Onset – 20 – 60 mins. If you eat shrooms on an empty stomach onset will be faster
- Peak – 3-5 hours. The most intense part of a trip
- Come down – 2-3 hours. The trip becomes less intense
- Total duration – 6-8 hours.
What are the effects I’m going to feel
Every trip is different, these are the most common effects:
Physical effects: Muscle relaxation, weakness, and twitches. Nausea. yawning, drowsiness, lack of coordination. Pupil dilation, watery eyes, facial flushing. Increased heart rate and body temperature. The body feels heavy or light, feelings of floating.
Psychological effects: Heightened sensory experiences and perceptual distortions. Auditory, tactile and visual hallucinations. Synesthesia. Difficulty in focusing and thinking. Sense of detachment from body and surroundings. Loss of boundaries. Altered perception of space and time. Emotions are intensified.
Anecdotal effects: Things seem more beautiful and meaningful. A new appreciation for nature and loved ones. Feeling at one with the universe. Insights into past and current affairs. Playfulness and child-like wonder.
Set and Settings
Set = Your mindset, the way you are currently feeling, and the things you are currently thinking about.
Setting = The place/environment that you will be tripping in.
The kind of trip you have is very much dependent on set and setting since shrooms will make you much more sensitive to even the slightest stimuli. It is recommended that you only trip when you have a good set and setting, e.g. you are in a fairly stable and happy frame of mind, and the environment will be somewhere beautiful and peaceful. You are far more likely to have a negative experience if you trip while feeling lonely in a crowded bar full of loud drunk people, than if you trip with some good friends on the beach at sunset.
A trip sitter is a sober person who stays nearby while you are tripping. If it is your first time it is recommended to have a trip sitter.
Should you trip in the day or night
You can have a psilocybin mushroom trip in both the day and night. Generally, the best time to do shrooms is on a sunny day while you are in nature.
Other ways to prepare yourself:
- Make sure you will not be disturbed – Turn your cell phone off, make sure that you have no other commitments and that you won’t be having random visitors dropping by.
- Maximize comfort – Have warmer / cooler clothes on hand. Have a place where you can lie down and relax. Make sure there is easy access to a bathroom. Water is always a good idea.
- Gather and prepare what you’ll need – E.g. Have a good playlist already queued up, since motor function will be impaired and navigating a computer can be difficult. If you think you may want to draw or write, have some pen and paper nearby. Have food ready and prepared for the comedown.
- Plan a rest day if possible – E.g. trip on Saturday and rest on Sunday. That way you have time to fully integrate everything that happened on the trip, and to recuperate. Trips can be physically, mentally and emotionally draining and it can be very rough to have to go right back to work / class the very next day.